Sunday, April 10, 2011

I'm Alive! I promise!!! (and an NYC restaurant review)

Oh my gosh, guys, it's literally been months. Life has been kerr-azy for me, so I had to take a prolonged break from my beloved blog. But I have emerged from my not-so-brief hiatus! I got the opportunity to visit NYC over spring break, which was hella fun! I visited some awesome vegan and nonvegan restaurants (you gotta keep the omnis happy) that I'm uber excited to review. I don't wanna overload you guys with veggie restaurant goodness, so I'll take it day by day, restaurant by restaurant for you. Sound good? It sure does to me!
First restaurant is...drumroll please...Mint NYC!
Mint is a super-cool, super-trendy midtown Indian restaurant with a deelish vegetarian menu that the staff is more than happy to veganize. We started out with some funky little rolled poppadoms that came with two dipping sauces, one that was some kind of mint puree, true to the restaurant's name. It was phenomenal. The other one was some kind of plum chutney, but I detest the combo of sweet and savory, so I stayed away from that one. 
For a main course, I ordered the Channa Masala, minus ghee. For those of you who don't know, Channa Masala is like Chicken Tikka Masala but with chickpeas in place of chicken. I also got an order of roti, which is like a whole wheat naan. It was vegan by default according to our waiter, which was a pleasant surprise, since most Indian breads come slathered in clarified butter. 
That's my Channa atop long grain basmati rice. You can see a little bit of my roti squeezing its way into the picture, too. 
Ohemjeezy, this dinner was to die! The Channa Masala had just the right amount of spice and the roti was soft and chewy I thought about going for a mango lassi for dessert, but after about four plates of curry, my tummy couldn't take it. I guess I'll just have to return to Mint another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment