Sunday, April 24, 2011

Review Time: Yonah Schimmel Knishery

A fact about this vegan nerd: potatoes make me happy. I doesn't matter if they're sweet, mashed, baked, fried, whatever. There's just something oh so comforting about the pure carboliciousness of a good root veggie. So naturally, Yonah Schimmel Knishery on the Lower East Side is the perfect place for me.

As you can see, Yonah's facade is quite uninspiring. That is, unless you take into consideration that this place has been open in the very same location since 1910. I'd say it's actually worn quite well. And I forgot to mention the best part: all of the knishes, unless otherwise specified, contain no eggs, dairy, or animal products! So I could have a knish without cruelty. 

Ok, you caught me. That is indeed a stock photo of a Yonah Schimmel knish. But you will hopefully understand that once I smelled the potato-y goodness of the knish on the plate in front of me, I simply couldn't hold my hunger back for long enough to take a picture. That and I forgot my camera at the hotel. :) Anyway, Yonah's was a hit. The knishes were awesome and the homemade mustard (which is a big part of the knish experience) was to die for. It was also great for my parents because it was vegan food without being vegan food, if that makes sense. Anyway, I was thoroughly thrilled with this distinctly New York experience and will certainly be returning the next time I am struck by the urge for a potato pastry.

No comments:

Post a Comment