Sunday, April 24, 2011

Review Time: Le Pain Quotidien

Aw, it's time for my last New York restaurant review. Sad times. But I promise, I'll get back to posting about recipes soon. I have several all made and photographed just begging to be posted.
The last place we visited before taking our leave of the city was Le Pain Quotidien, a surprisingly vegan friendly worldwide chain of little French bistros. You would never guess that it was a chain, though, because the cafes are so intimate and cozy. You sit at a big communal table and enjoy yummy French comfort food. Heavenly, right? I decided to order a vegan quiche (!) for brunch. I had to ask the waiter to make sure it was in fact vegan, and he assured me that there were no animal products involved, so I gave it a go.

Oh my gosh, so good! My quiche came with a little side mesclun salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, which complimented it well. I was surprised that there were no egg substitutes involved, just pure veggie goodness. The buckwheat crust was also really good and shockingly flaky. How do you make buckwheat flaky? I'll have to figure this one out.  
After my main course, I decided to finish my trip to New York with a vegan pastry. I was intrigued by the vegan pastry, which was kind of like an apple muffin only made with puff pastry. I can't remember the fancy french name of it for the life of me, but all I can remember is that it was one of the best things that ever touched my lips. Even my non-vegan travel companions concurred. 


Oh, Le Pain! Please, come to my town! I need you!

No comments:

Post a Comment